Robert G. Morrell (IE '53)
- Robert Gene "Bob" Morrell, 81, of Ross Township, passed away peacefully after a brief hospitalization Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013, in Naples, Fla. A native of Corona, Calif., son of the late Frank and Allie Belle Morrell, Bob loved his California upbringing. He graduated from Corona High School, where he served as class president for four years and was a member of the track and football teams. His free time was filled with surfing and working at the family business, MAVA Ice Cream. Bob proudly graduated from the University of Southern California in 1953, where his was a Squire and a Knight and his honors included election into the Pi Tau Sigma Mechanical Engineering Fraternity, serving as president of the School of Engineering and graduating Phi Beta Kappa. He was a member of the Sigma Phi Delta Fraternity. Following college, Bob served with his country as a member of the Army in Germany. Bob Morrell began his successful career with Alcoa in Los Angeles and was soon transferred to the company's market research department in Pittsburgh, where he met his loving wife, the former Marlene Jane Otto, to whom he was married for 49 years. While at Alcoa, Bob's honors included The Charles Martin Hall Award and the 25 Year Club. Prior to retirement, Bob worked as a consultant for NEC. In more recent years, Bob was an active member of PARC. A man actively involved in his community, Bob was a devoted member of Berkeley Hills Lutheran Church, where he served with dedication on the church council and was a member of the property committee. He was a member of the Ross Township Zoning Committee and Wildwood Golf Club. As a board member of the North Hills YMCA, Bob served passionately as a co-chair of the successful capital campaign which resulted in the beautiful construction of what is now the Baierl Family YMCA. Bob enjoyed spending time at the family's weekend home at Indian Lake, and he was a founding member of the Indian Lake Golf Club. His rod and reel were always close at hand, and most recently, he loved his buddies at the Bonita Bay Fishing Club. He had a passion for USC football, as well as the Pittsburgh Steelers, but his nine grandchildren held the key to his heart. Bob is survived by his wife, Marlene, and their three daughters, Molly Morrell Sweitzer and her husband, Mike Sweitzer ,of Dallas, Pa., and their three children, Madison Jane, Samuel Morrell and Owen Michael; Kristin Morrell Bovard, of Franklin Park, and her three daughters, Leah Mae, Margaret Maylon and Trudy Morrell; and Suzanne Morrell Crutcher and her husband, Bryan Crutcher, of Charlotte, N.C., and their three sons, Bryan Patterson, John Walter and George Hartman. He is also survived by his brother, James E. Morrell, of Oroville, Calif. A service to celebrate the life of Robert Morrell will be held at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2013, at Berkeley Hills Lutheran Church with the Rev. Scott Bryte officiating. A reception will follow at the church. Interment will be private. Arrangements are in the care OF SIMONS FUNERAL HOME, 412-367-3100 . In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to: Baierl Family YMCA, 2565 Nicholson Road, Sewickley, PA 15143; or to Berkeley Hills Lutheran Church, 517 Sangree Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15237.
John H. Ganzenhuber (EE '33)
- Brother Ganzenhuber passed away on the 12th of October, 1984 in Los Angeles, California.
Thomas E. Ashlock (CE '51)
- Brother Ashlock's obituary states that, while an employee of the California Dept of Highways Bridge department, he designed the Willow Creek Bridge of Highway 1 in Monterey County that won national pre-stressed concrete design recognition. Later he managed agricultural water districts and used his "original thinking" and developed a system of water exchanges (now an accepted practice) and reverse flow to send water up-hill, confounding normal thinking and gravity. Hios full obituary is in the San Luis Obispo Tribune, January 14, 2010.
William Rieken (PTE,BS '53)
- We were notified of Brother Rieken's death in October 2009. No other details available.
Paul R. Butterfield (CE,BS '57)
- Mrs. Butterfield sent us a note together with a donation. She reports that Brother Butterfield is suffering from ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease), but he wants to continue to support the fraternity as long as he is able.
Albert R. Duim (EE,BS '38)
- Together with his $1000 donation, Brother Duim wrote, "While I'm still here and time is short, put my donation where you need it. I may be old (93), but I still remember the good times at Sigma Phi Delta."
Maynard G. Brandsma (AE,BS/OE,M '70)
- We received the following e-mail note:
Please remove Maynard G. Brandsma from your mailing list. He died July 20, 2009. Thank you.
Wallace F. Brown (B E in G E '42)
- We received a note from Brother Al Roberts (Alpha ) reprting Brother Brown's death on 9/21/2009. He said, "Wally and I met at USC in 1939, and our family's remain close friends, trabveling celebrating birthdays together. We talked on the phone the day before he died."
Per his obituary, Wally's two greatest wishes when he found out he had terminal cancer were that he see the completion of the '08 USC football season and that he see his first great-grandchild Laura born May 9,2009. God granted him both wishes.
Wally was a legislative analyst with Los Angeles City for 30 years.
Services were held at Forest Lawn, Hollywood Hills, on 1/21/2009.
Chad J. Larkin (CS '95)
- I am searching for Alumni in the Los Angeles area that are willing to donate time to start building up Alumni involvement and connections at the Alpha Chapter at USC. Please contact me if you are willing to participate in the effort to grow this Alumni involvement. email@example.com
Charles G. Elliott (CE,BS '59)
- Brother Elliott sent a 2009 donation to the Foundation in memory of his spouse Sylvia, who died 1/08/2002. He had great years at USC and with Sigma Phi Delta, he noted.
Richard W. Kersey (CHE '44)
- Together with his 2009 donation, BrotherKersey dropped us a note telling us that he enjoys the Castle very much. "Keep up the good work," he wrote.
Joseph L. Bensinger Jr. (EE '47)
- We received a note that Brother Bensinger died on 11/16/2008. He was retired from Douglas Aircraft. In retirement he served on the Carson City Planning Board and was City Supervisor from 1975-78.
John W. Marshall (EE,BS '41)
- Mrs. (Bertha) Marshall sent us a note that Brother Marshall died on 2/26/2005. He retired from USC as Director of Industrial Associations.
Steven S. Diaz (EE '89)
- Married Wendy Lidikay of Hacienda Heights, CA on July 17, 1997 in the city of Upland, CA. -No children. . .yet! Her dream home is a CASTLE! Update: 2-9-09...Three kids, moved to AZ, bought a home. And...still married...so far!
Brian Zachary Jones (BA-OM/BS '03)
- I am now an Assistant Manager of Production Control at a Toyota subsidiary company.
John Ainsworth (EE '40)
- Together with an extremely generous donation to the fraternity, Brother Ainsworth dropped us a line (1/08) reporting that he has moved to asenior assited living apartment.
We received a note from his daughter, Janet Larson, reporting his death on 8/6/2008. Father "maintained his interest in engineering beyond his 90th birthday. His inquisitive and inventive mind led him down many interesting paths in his lifetime. He truly was an engineer at heart," she said. Per his obituary, he had a long time interest in electric streetcars,riding trains and busses, solar power, and he built his own electric car in the 1970s. Memorials can be sent to The Nature Conservancy, 1001 W. Yakima Ave, Suite 325, Yakima, WA 98902, or the Yakima Valley Trolleys, PO Box 796, Yakima, WA 98907.
George G. Crabaugh (Acct. '56)
- We received a note from Mrs. Janet Crabaugh reporting Brouther Crabaugh's death on 7/28/2008. She gratiously enclosed a $100 donation in his memory to the General Fund.
Barry C. Tilton P.E. (Mr. Tilton) (Electrical Engineering '85)
- Now Director of NGA Programs for Integrity Applications Incorporated. Family is fine and youngest is now a 1st Grader!!!
Shawn Stone (EE '92)
- Still living in Oslo (Norway, for you knobs who failed Geography).
Still primarily working as Independant IT Consulting Project Manager, with focus towards ERP/Supply Chain and Project/Program Managmement of SAP related initiatives
Still married to Belgian lady & have 3 daughters:
- Katarina Stone (6 years)
- Sophia Stone (8 years)
- Anna Stone (10 years)
*** Fight On Trojans!!! ***
.......> Drop me a line if you're in Oslo (Sep 2008)
G. Cecil Fraser (G. Cecil) (EE '63)
- My corporation operates the swimming pool construction company, Swan Pools in Southern California and the Landscape company, Avalon landscaping. In 2008 we added our new venture in Photovoltaic solar power generation for single family homes and small companies.